[opendtv] Re: The Weather and do these people have NO shame?

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:59:44 -0700

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 01:30 -0700, Bill Hogan wrote:
> Indeed, the executive vice president of AccuWeather, Barry Myers,
> probably had to have his face specially treated with some sort of fixing
> agent to prevent him from laughing out loud when he told the Post that
> the "bill would improve public safety by making the weather service
> devote its efforts to hurricanes, tsunamis and other dangers, rather
> than duplicating products already available from the private sector."

At NAB a colleague and I stopped by a number of the weather companies
who sell value added services or just plain old repackaged NWS weather
data. We were treated with contempt, scorn, and downright rudeness when
we asked their thoughts on the above fiasco, as well as current open
source efforts made available by NASA, the NWS, and others.

If the NWS' web site went away under this bill some of these developers
would have to start coding real applications.

The best quote:
"Do you really need that from the NOAA Web site?" Myers asked.

It *doesn't matter* - I *paid* for it.

Cheers
Kon