[opendtv] Re: The CD turns 25

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:19:47 -0400

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

> Similar, but more interesting, questions about the
> sizes of things are about the track width of railroad
> lines. Could it have anything to do with the width of
> the butt of a Roman ox ? Folklore ??!

I've read speculative articles about that. You can still see the wear of
the cart wheels on ancient Roman roads, actually.

Russian trains use slightly wider gauge. So do a few other countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_gauge

> Oh, before I forget, is there evidence that 25 year
> old (pressed) CDs are still playable ? At that time
> we believed that they were indestructable, but I will
> see if they outlive the 78 rpm records?

Well, I can certainly still play flawlessly all my oldest CDs, last time
I checked. They do seem fairly indestructable, although not to the point
perhaps where you can step on them and drag them on the floor, as some
of the early CD salesmen demoed.

Thing is, though, that now that many "CD players," including those in
cars, can also play DVDs, there really is no reason to stick with the
44/16 standard for audio anymore. I'd much rather audio disks used the
stereo 96/24 or 192/24 standard DVDs *already* can play. (Although I do
understand that this ain't the point. The point is that kids use MP3
players and plug up their ears with ear buds these days.)