[opendtv] Re: The CD turns 25

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:07:54 +0200

Hi,

Bert:
> On the CD size question, when they were introduced, I read that the
> 12 cm diameter was to allow them to fit in the car radio DIN slot.
> Are you saying this is folklore?

Dunno. People who would know have all been retired. There are some
plausible references at:
http://www.helium.com/channels/511-Radio-Audio-Devices/knowledge/5993-explaining-diameter
http://www.helium.com/tm/275202/actual-diameter-compact-actually

I don't remember if I have actually ever measured the diameter of
the dubbeltje coin. I can still do this if I remember where I have
put the last ones. As you know the Dutch coins have been replaced
with larger Euro coins, so I can't just pick one from my pocket.

An interesting question was: which (Dutch) coin should you hold at
an arm's length to make the sun, or the moon, disappear behind it ?
It turns out that even the dubbeltje is more than large enough,
but almost nobody would guess that. And since there does not seem
to exist any smaller coin in the world, there is no better answer.

Similar, but more interesting, questions about the sizes of things
are about the track width of railroad lines. Could it have anything
to do with the width of the butt of a Roman ox ? Folklore ??!

Oh, before I forget, is there evidence that 25 year old (pressed)
CDs are still playable ? At that time we believed that they were
indestructable, but I will see if they outlive the 78 rpm records ?

Best,
-- Jeroen

| From:    Jeroen H. Stessen               | Phone:  ++31.40.27.40246  |
| Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies    | Mobex:  ++31.40.27.99650  |
|          Digital Systems & Technologies  | Mobile: ++31.6.4468.0021  |
| Address: High Tech Campus 5 - room 5.025 | Skype:  Jeroen.Stessen      |
|          5656 AE Eindhoven  - Nederland  | VoIP:
Jeroen.Stessen.at.Philips  |
Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |