[opendtv] Re: The CD turns 25

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:59:19 +0200

Hello friends at OpenDTV,

John Golitsis:
> What REALLY blows my mind is that you have 3 year old son!!  I'm pretty
sure I remember
> you mentioning on this list several years ago that you had a new
girlfriend!

Yes, lucky me. We were pregnant before we married, back in 2003.
Danilo will be 4 in October. And Elena is 8 months old now.  :-)

Speaking of new relationships, it may be a bit premature to announce
that I am about to transfer from Philips Applied Technologies (back)
to Philips Consumer Electronics, the Innovation Lab, also in Eindhoven.

And to Doug, who wrote:
> That's GOOD news ... patents are one of the evil things around.

No they are not. The value of the patent portfolio of Philips CE is
larger than the value of the company itself. If you buy the patents
then we'll throw in the buildings and the factories and everything
for free. Patents are immensely important for us, we could literally
not exist without them. It's what earns us an honest pay. And if you
see the amounts for which competitors and patent sharks try to charge
us (for alleged infringement), it must be pretty important for them
too. We are strongly encouraged to write enough patents !

Patents also help to protect standards. When the CD Red Book was
still decently managed you would not have seen these ugly non-
compatible copy protection mechanisms. Standards are enforced by
licences which are protected by patents.

Best,
-- Jeroen

| From:    Jeroen H. Stessen               | Phone:  ++31.40.27.40246  |
| Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies    | Mobex:  ++31.40.27.99650  |
|          Digital Systems & Technologies  | Mobile: ++31.6.4468.0021  |
| Address: High Tech Campus 5 - room 5.025 | Skype:  Jeroen.Stessen      |
|          5656 AE Eindhoven  - Nederland  | VoIP:
Jeroen.Stessen.at.Philips  |
Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |