[opendtv] Re: The CD turns 25

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:25:06 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeroen Stessen" <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Oh, before I forget, is there evidence that 25 year old (pressed)
CDs are still playable ? At that time we believed that they were
indestructable, but I will see if they outlive the 78 rpm records ?

I have a few that are pushing 20 years old. I know that CD Rot was an early phenomenon, but I've never had a CD "rot," or more correctly have the aluminum layer oxidize because the thin top layer allowed air to enter. I also believe this was a problem with many Laserdiscs which are constructed similarly, if on a larger scale and with an FM analog signal instead of digital pits and lands.

However, I doubt that CD-Rs will last nearly as long. In this age of digital photography, I wonder how many photos will simply disappear in 20 years because the CD-Rs and inkjet prints have both just faded away.

John