[opendtv] Re: Microsoft Says Malfunctioning Device Led to Failed Interference Test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:34:10 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I seem to remember some industry tests of COFDM versus 8-VSB,
> which were followed by FCC tests. If the NAB statement above
> were applied to these tests, the shoe would be on the other
> foot. to paraphrase the statement above:
>
> "With the immense importance of the testing to innumerable
> stakeholders, one would think that broadcasters would
> certainly ensure the good working order of the prototype
> device(s)used for the COFDM/8VSB tests."
>
> Instead these tests were meaningless, due to the use of COFDM
> "receivers" without the proper filtering on the front ends.
> One might even go so far as to suggest that these tests were
> purposely rigged.

I have a completely different view of these test results.

In both cases, the outcome should have been obvious.

It should have been obvious that 8-VSB *could be made* to work just
fine, and it is just as obvious that using white spaces will definitely
be problematic. You don't need clueless politicians getting yanked
around by self-serving marketers to decide on such straightforward
technical facts.

What's wrong with simple truth? That's what I don't understand. Why
isn't it clear when self-serving parties are voicing their self-serving
agendas?