[opendtv] Re: TVTechnology: Viaccess-Orca: 20 Million Watched World Cup on Illegal Streams

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 22:53:20 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The professional side of the big CE companies ("broadcast divisions"),
> saw HDTV as a lucrative high end market with major barriers to entry
> - they expected it to take decades for the cost of HD production to
> become affordable.

Craig, I have no idea whether what you say about "the professional side of the
big CE companies" this is true or not. I have to doubt it, only because "HD
production" was already being done by the TV studios, and had been forever. If
nothing else, it's called 35mm film, and it's what most TV shows were shot on.
We went over this, Craig, and showed that 35mm film is MORE than adequate to
capture all the image resolution HDTV can possibly use. As to live digital HD
cameras, Sony indicated way, way back, that they could get HD interlaced
cameras on the market in a very short time, and did. Even if you argued that
local TV stations couldn't produce their own content in HD economically
(ignoring Moore's law), the bulk of what is transmitted, especially during
prime time, is NOT locally produced material. So honestly, these objections
never sounded convincing.

Ditto for the HDTV sets. CE products always "race to the bottom," so it was
obvious the same would happen with HDTV sets.

> What you are failing to understand, or at least to consider, is the
> fact that the TV content industry is NOT driven by technology - if
> anything, technology has helped them to lower production costs from
> a technology perspective.

Obviously. But that doesn't mean the only possible business model is one
invented when wideband distribution media had to be walled gardens. If ad
support is not enough, there are multiple ways of having your customers pay
extra fees.

Since you didn't go back and check what you had written, here is the quote.
Read it again:

> The content owners are trying to protect the walled gardens - that
> is why they are using authentication.

No! The content owners want *authentication* (to collect extra fees), that's
why they use walled gardens. You had it backwards.

*And*, there are other means of authenticating than the old walled garden,
these days.