[opendtv] Re: TVTechnology: Viaccess-Orca: 20 Million Watched World Cup on Illegal Streams

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 07:41:29 -0400

On Jul 31, 2014, at 9:24 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm saying that people around the world are going to pirate sites because
> they don't want to be limited to the legal sites available out there. For
> instance, cord cutters and the young cord nevers don't want to be limited to
> the MVPD membership model, to stream some of this content.

So what you are really saying is that these "pirates" are not willing to pay.

> The industry is trying desperately to corral everyone into the old MVPD
> model, even for IP streams, as that article about C-SPAN so blatantly put it,
> but the people aren't buying into that. Even Macchiavelli knew that you can't
> force the masses to do something they don't want. That's the wake-up call for
> the content owners.

Wake up call? It's the business model Bert. A business model they are now
extending to the Internet. At least in the U.S. The vast majority of people are
biting the bullet and paying.

Unfortunately, Machiavelli was wrong - the productive portion of our society is
being forced into doing all kinds of things we don't want. Perhaps we will
reach the breaking point again - seems to happen every few hundred years in
most societies. But we're not there yet.

> Strange way of putting it. The content owners primarily want
> *authentication*, so they get paid more.

DUH!

> They don't care about protecting MVPDs, as much as they care about their
> revenues.

Wrong. The MVPDs are helping them maximize their revenues.

> They may still be using the MVPD model, in large part, as the authentication
> mechanism. However the content owners are already showing signs of having
> understood what Macchiavelli was saying. The content owners, as we've already
> discussed many times, have started making their content available independent
> of the MVPD nets, over the Internet. Baby steps, perhaps. A few hours
> delayed, perhaps. So, this piracy problem should be yet another wake-up call
> to them.

Really?

They are selling their content to people who charge for it via the Internet. In
a few cases they are allowing people to pay for a premium service like HBO
without ALSO subscribing to the bundle. But they are not allowing content in
the bundle to be sold independently until it is no longer valuable IN the
bundle.

> I get the impression your thinking is still very MVPD-oriented. The Internet
> makes for a natural a la carte medium, right? Or certainly, it is a natural
> medium for allowing multiple different choices of bundles, from any number of
> sites.

You can bet your ass they are. The last thing they want is ala carte, as it
will cost them billions.in undeserved revenues.

> So, the MVPDs would probably be wise to allow more a la carte, unbundled
> choices, as one way to keep their content troves relevant. But the content
> owners can also read the tea leaves, maybe even bypass the old walled garden
> model altogether, and deal with other Internet-specific portals instead. What
> makes you think the content owners haven't figured this out?

They are doing both. The most valuable content is in the bundle. Then the stuff
with good shelf life is sold again.

You can keep wishing and hoping, but it just ain't so.

Keep dreaming.