[opendtv] Re: TVTechnology: Viaccess-Orca: 20 Million Watched World Cup on Illegal Streams

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 00:12:28 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I'm saying that people around the world are going to pirate sites
>> because they don't want to be limited to the legal sites available
>> out there. For instance, cord cutters and the young cord nevers
>> don't want to be limited to the MVPD membership model, to stream
>> some of this content.
>
> So what you are really saying is that these "pirates" are not
> willing to pay.

Not necessarily. Some people will pay for Netflix, or Hulu Plus, but they won't
get snared into the MVPD racket.

> Wake up call? It's the business model Bert.

It's a business model that won't last, Craig. Think back at your years-long
resistance to the idea that HDTV was always meant for the masses. The same
phenomenon is occurring on this topic. As technology changes, business models
change. Younger people are showing signs of being able to "say no." That's why
there's so much pirating going on.

>> Strange way of putting it. The content owners primarily want
>> *authentication*, so they get paid more.
>
> DUH!

I should have been more direct, then. Craig, you said it exactly backwards.
Content owners DO NOT insist on authentication IN ORDER TO protect the MVPDs,
which is what you said (go back and check!). Content owners are still using the
MVPD model IN ORDER TO obtain that authentication they want. See the
difference? There are other models out there for authentication, Craig, and the
content owners ARE using them. Not enough perhaps, but wait and see.

How many times have we been around this circle?