[opendtv] Re: TVDVD

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:59:59 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> That DVD has become an important channel of
> distribution for the content produced by
> Hollywood is difficult to dispute. The notion that
> DVD - and perhaps direct to the customer
> distribution via the Internet in the future - has
> emerged so quickly as a major market force,
> suggests that consumers are trying to tell the
> content moguls something.

The only new aspect to any of this is the
distribution of TV shows over recorded media. Movies
have been available over recorded media as long as I
can remember. (Even back in 8mm and 16mm film days.)

> Could it be: "If we are going to be forced to pay
> anyway, then we would rather not have to put up
> with all the commercials?"

I don't think it's an either/or proposition. For
example, I'm watching a technically superior
version of Band of Brothers these days without
having to subscribe to HBO, and on my own schedule.
I don't think HBO subscriptions are in great danger,
though. Even HBO suscribers might want their own
copy of the miniseries to view any old time.

People will buy these for the same reasons they buy
movies, I think. Perhaps they would work well as
rentals too, for the same reason.