[opendtv] Re: I Doubt Bob Miller is Serious

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:24:05 -0400

I have to retract one thing I said below. In 2001 when Sinclair along
with ourselves and Channel WNYE did a demonstration of COFDM I did
complain or whine as John describes it that the FCC would not allow us
to show COFDM to the NYFD or NYPD. That STA was asked for by the DoD and
was for the use of WNYE's (PBS) digital station.

The denial was conveyed to me by the station manager so I do not have
first hand knowledge of it. It might have been that the station was just
antsy about doing it or even asking for permission. I attributed it to
the FCC and that made it all the more surprising for me when later we
asked for an STA and experimental and got them no problem.

So I did whine at least once and maybe with no basis. But at that time
just after 9/11 and not long after the height of the 8-VSB/COFDM debate
it was easy to expect that it was the FCC denying our request. And I
still think it was. In other words the FCC allowed a very specific short
term request by the DoD and denied that anyone else but the DoD and FEMA
could witness it.

Bob Miller