[opendtv] Re: Study Shows IPTV Gaining Ground

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:52:16 -0400

Why do you think it's irrelevant that the PC industry COULD have developed the same way? It's not irrelevant. It is exactly the same dynamic that allowed radios and TVs to be unwalled originally, and then people got lured into walled gardens in later distribution models. The same could happen to PCs and ISPs.

The PC industry is filled with walls. Microsoft has made a fortune building them.

We are only now beginning to break their stranglehold over the enterprise. For all the openness of the PC, the hardware vendors struggle to make pennies, while Intel and Microsoft continue to haul in the vast majority of the profits.

And talk about fragmented and a nightmare for developers...

Fortunately, as an Apple fanboy I have not had to put up with most of the joys of the Open PC environment.