[opendtv] Re: Study Shows IPTV Gaining Ground

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:57:10 -0400

During The Golden Age of Television (1940 - 1961) most consumers had
three programming choices (there were a few independent stations in
major markets like New York). Three networks decided what we could see
and hear...

No walls there!

======

Then there's the BBC...  I venture into this "debate" cautiously, as
there are "facts" on all sides of the argument that can be highlighted
to make a point.

Let's forget I mentioned the BBC.  That's not the point.  I'm sure you
know that frequency allocations in the US were not made to limit
programming options.  You only need to go back a few more years to see
what an earlier mass media outlet -- radio -- had become to see what
some think is an "un-walled garden."  More like a free-for-all.  Shared
frequencies, even, but not always successfully.

Regulations in broadcasting often seem to be more reactive than
proactive  Clever operators always try to find ways to game the system
for their own benefit.  Without naming names, *none* of the companies
often mentioned in this forum are above such games.

Ken