[opendtv] Re: Study Shows IPTV Gaining Ground

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:36:39 -0400

Can you explain why any CE vendor should be negotiating deals with ANY web site or search engine? Why should I buy a TV set that can only access certain web sites? I don't do that for OTA reception. Nor do I agree to such restrictions when I buy a PC. I expect full access to those media.

The deals are with the content owners. The Internet hardware and software are simply the storefront.

And as far as OTA TV you are EXTREMELY limited with respect to your access to content. Apparently you are either happy with what you get, or too cheap and stubborn to accept that most of the content available today is NOT delivered via OTA TV. I do, however, applaud your backbone in standing up to the oligopolies!

 Personally, while I like the idea of an internet connection in the
 display, if it requires closed-in systems and content negotiations, I
 would rather they be in the STB than in the display.  I would rather
 swap out a set-top box than have to buy a new display every time I
 wanted to go to an new content provider.

Yes, that would be nothing more than re-creating the MVPD experience.

Perhaps, but I fully agree with Dan that it is a mistake to integrate a rapidly evolving technology into the TV. Look at where this got us with ATSC; good luck tuning into the new MHP service.

If I buy an Internet-enabled TV, I expect access to the Internet as I have from a PC. If these supposedly Internet enabled sets are NOT actually being used for Internet content, as the article stated, then the reason is that they are designed badly.

Perhaps. Or perhaps it is because the TV is NOT the best appliance for accessing the Internet, especially when tablets are bout to become the replacement for the TV remote. Perhaps what is relevant is that you can use the big screen and the Internet in appropriate ways, without having to force the user to do everything through the TV.

And then there is the issue of the TV becoming just another PC with all of the baggage that it entails.

How long do you expect your TV to be useful?

How often do you upgrade your PC?