[opendtv] Re: Speaking Of Mobile...

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:27:57 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

I saw a remark in a story out of CES, suggesting that one use of a mobile media device would be the ability to program you in-home DVR to capture things you want to watch when you have the time. The entertainment industry is ALL about cross promotion to make potential viewers aware of content they may want to watch. In this, I believe mobile devices are going to play a VERY IMPORTANT role.

If you mean a mobile media device that can VIEW content captured by your in-home DVR, then didn't DirecTV try that a couple of years ago with their DirecTV 2GO? I seem to recall TiVo also testing the waters with the ability to transfer media into a Video iPod or other portable media player.

If you mean what you wrote, which was the ability to program your in-home DVR, then that doesn't take a mobile media device, all that takes a web-enabled mobile device such as a laptop or iPhone. Heck, it could even be done with a touch-tone telephone if the interfaces were designed properly!

John