[opendtv] Re: Speaking Of Mobile...

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 15:56:30 -0500

So then where would Mr. Lynch draw the line? What would be the minimum screen size necessary for Mr. Lynch to be assured that we experience his movie as he intended? 15"? 25"? 42"? 4:3 pan & scan? Letterboxed Widescreen only? Mono audio? 2 channel stereo? 5.1 surround?

Hopefully, his answer won't be "the experience can only be had in the theater," because most of his money is made in DVD sales.

This is just snobbery gone wild. Same with MP3 players. Hey, if I want to listen to music on the go, an MP3 player is my choice to make. (I don't listen to MP3 players, btw.) If one wishes to ban music from MP3 players because they aren't "good enough" to reproduce the music, then lets ban car radios as well. Everyone knows that the average automobile interior is not the ideal listening environment, so let's ban it.

There is a time and a place for a full immersion experience, be it at the movie theater or at a live orchestral performance. There is also a time and place for a convenient, albeit imperfect, mobile substitute for that full immersion experience.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Golitsis" <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Bravo!  I'm a huge David Lynch fan...even more-so now!

As far as I'm concerned, same goes for MP3 and music. Home-theater-in- a-box? Get real!