[opendtv] Re: Speaking Of Mobile...

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:11:30 -0500

It's an interesting phenomenon. It's not just screen size; it's also the communal environment. It's why TV comedies have laugh tracks or are shot in front of an audience, and movie comedies are not.

At the Metropolitan Opera, we are now sending live HD cinemacasts to more than 600 theaters around the world. I'm stuck in the production truck when we do them, but I get to attend some of the "encore" presentations.

The first I went to was at a theater that was clearly having audio and video problems. Nothing below about 50% video level appeared at all, and the audio collapsed whenever anyone sang (suggesting a reduced center-channel level). I noted all the problems, and they were repaired before the next transmission, but the interesting thing to me was that the audience at the bad transmission was rapt. They stayed throughout the opera, through the credits, and even after the credits and copyright notice until after the screen went black. They applauded the high points. They sighed, laughed, and cringed at all the right moments. They left what I considered an abominable presentation with smiles on their faces.

There was a psychological experiment once where someone was given a task in a room, and smoke came in under the door. If it was one subject in the room, he always got up and reported the smoke. If it was three subjects, however, none of them got up to report the smoke.

Community offers a different experience.

TTFN,
Mark

John R. Schilberg wrote:
Howdy Gang,

Here's a clip of one of the more prolific film people of our time commenting on the use of mobile devices for movie entertainment. The gentleman is writer/producer/director/actor/editor/composer/cinematographer/sound mixer David Lynch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Best regards,

John

John R. Schilberg