[opendtv] Re: Seeing Ghosts on a Single Frequency Network

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:20:35 -0500

This is the killer reception condition, which is less likely to obtain if
the two signals experience considerable multipath.  Strong multipath thatis
different in the two signals may allow COFDM reception.

Consider now how to cope with this killer reception condition.  If the
receiver is not moving, one carefully locates the simple reception antenna
where received signal strength is close to maximum.  If the receiver is in a
vehicle, a complex antenna system can be used to secure adequate received
signal strength whether or not the receiver is moving.

Receivers hand-held by a pedestrian walking in a direction away from one
transmitter and towards the other fare very badly in an SFN, however.  An
MFN is better for these receivers, as well as making antenna systems for
vehicles simpler.  The cost for the better reception the MFN can provide is
a more complex receiver, of course, and the antenna has to be broadband.

Al