[opendtv] Re: Seeing Ghosts on a Single Frequency Network

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:00:49 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

[SFNs are a kludge]

> They're only a kludge when used with a single carrier system that is
> ill-equipped to handle them. A kludge is ATSC-MH.

I disagree, John. SFNs are always a kludge.

COFDM was designed to make reception easier in multipath environments. SFNs
were an afterthought. Sort of, "Hey, if reception is easier with multipath, why
don't we try this?" And they created a scheme with egregious amounts of
multipath.

And most of the proponents, from day 1, totally forgot the price you pay to
implement the afterthought. Instead, they latched onto the notion that "COFDM
was designed for SFNs." But it wasn't.

All you have to do is read ETSI EN 300 744. Even COFDM struggles dealing with
more and more multipath energy. That's why the receivers are desensitized when
facing difficult environments.