[opendtv] Re: Seeing Ghosts on a Single Frequency Network

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 17:56:36 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> I suppose it depends on your definition of spectral efficiency. If I
> tie up 8 MHz to deliver 19.4 Mbps, and you tie up 12 MHz to deliver
> 19.4 Mbps, which one is more spectrally efficient? Sure, you're only
> receiving 6 MHz at time, but you've got that other 6 MHz cooking off
> in the distance, unable to be used by anyone else. From the FCC's
> point of view, you're using 12 MHz. My question was if you were going
> to tie up 12 MHz of spectrum, is a MFN the best way use it?

Remember that the SFN vs MFN comparison was not made purely on saving spectrum.
It was, instead, ease of reception. It could be that you can reduce the
spectral efficiency of the SFN enough to achieve the same ease of reception as
a MFN with the same total RF spectrum used, but you would have to work at it.
As opposed to using stuff that already exists.

Compare a scheme with just a few towers, spread far apart to cover a large
area. In the SFN, this is difficult. In the MFN, it is trivial. If you need,
say, 12 MHz to make your idea work in the SFN, and I can use 12 MHz in a MFN,
then guess who has most of the new stuff to develop?