[opendtv] Re: Seeing Ghosts on a Single Frequency Network

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 19:53:20 -0600

> And in order to cover something that's not a straight line, I think
> you need four frequencies, whether it's marketwide SFNs or MFNs.

In case this wasn't clear, I mean, "if you want to obtain continuous coverage."

The literal checkerboard pattern has very sharp corners for each square. In
those corner locations, you get hopeless interference. With RF propagation
being what it is, the area of uncertainty will move around according to weather
conditions, sun sport activity, what have you. So a two frequency checkerboard
over a two-dimensional area would be very, let's say, optimistic.