[opendtv] Re: Charles Rhodes - FMI: More than Just a Problem on the Fringe

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:08:27 -0500

Only one station in our relatively small Lansing DMA chose a VHF for their final ATSC frequency post transition. WILX opted to return to their old analog Channel 10. Every other broadcaster in the market remained on UHF, even if they had to move to a different UHF channel post transition.

WILX has had so many ongoing reception complaints that they have petitioned the FCC to move to a UHF channel, and that effort is ongoing.

Based on my own limited experiments with WILX's signal, and earlier experience with WOOD Grand Rapids' ATSC on Channel 7, VHF is the last place I'd want to try to use ATSC. Whether COFDM would perform any better on VHF, I don't know. But I do know that ATSC hates VHF in anything other than a city grade environment, completely wiping out any laboratory measured S/N advantage of ATSC over DVB-T.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

Unfortunately VHF is part of the problem here because of the propagation characteristics of this band. IMHO, the FCC should be looking at other potential uses of VHF than TV.