[opendtv] Re: (S) DTV adaptors available for less than 50 euros in France

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:34:43 -0400

At 1:11 PM -0400 9/15/05, Kon Wilms wrote:
>Are you kidding me? When's the last time you flipped channels on a
>directv receiver? Their I-frame spacing is up to 5 seconds, but
>typically I see 60-90 frames for the 'standard' channels. Most operators
>want to cram as much content as possible into the transport.

Are you basing this assessment on the actual examination of the
encoded bit streams, or the time it takes to acquire and place on the
screen a new stream?

I do not have DirecTV, but Cox digital cable seems to have the same
problem. It can take 3-5 seconds to acquire a new stream, or longer
if the STB must change scanning format (I have the SA box set-up to
pass through each HD format, rather than outputting only one format).

  I suspect that we are both experiencing the delay times for our
respective STBs, not long GOP encoding issues.