[opendtv] Re: (S) DTV adaptors available for less than 50 euros in France

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:25:10 +0200

Bert seems to have a valid point. At last year's IBC I asked one
well-established iptv set-top box supplier if they were planning on comming
up with a HD version of their AVC set-top. One of the primary reasons they
wouldn't was that to reach an acceptable datarate for iptv the channel
changing (and initial acquisition) time would be unacceptably long, due to
the long gop length required.

With linespeeds on deployed adsl networks being increased in many market
with the introduction of adsl2+ this may no longer be as much of an issue,
but still it sides with Bert's analysis.

According to various reports (aka the IBC rumourmill) on the Alcatel/MS
system being implemented at Swisscom, channelchanging time is one of the
problems that still needs to be fixed befor launch of the service. So,
advanced compression does seem to rely on increased goplength.

Donald