[opendtv] Re: Questions about DTT Transition and Channels 60-69

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:15:45 -0400

John Willkie wrote:

>wasn't the transition started (John Abel, etc) to deal with the incursion of
>public safety on broadcast bands?  I can provide cites if needed, including
>the (I believe) still pending LA Sheriff's petition.)

In a word, no.

If you want to dig into broadcasters' reasons for pushing HDTV, you will
find the CBS filing of July 1981 most instructive.  They asked the FCC
to preven DBS from using Ku-band to preserve those frequencies for HDTV.

But, if you want to follow the FCC work, it began officially in 1987 as
a means to deliver HDTV, thought to be analog, which would not have
freed any spectrum.  The fourth report & order, in 1995, finally
acknowledges a move to digital.

"With this Fourth Further Notice of Proposed Rule Making and Third
Notice of Inquiry ("Notice"), we continue the process of moving toward
the next era of broadcast television: digital broadcast television. In
previous orders in this Advanced Television ('ATV') proceeding, our
focus was on fostering the development of High Definition Television
('HDTV')."
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/Notices/1995/fcc95315.txt

Even in that fourth report, issues the year before the
Telecommunications Act of 1996, there is no reference to public safety.

TTFN,
Mark