[opendtv] Re: Questions about DTT Transition and Channels 60-69

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:16:21 -0400

John Willkie wrote:

>No Mark, I cannot, nor would I try, even if you made the year mark 1991.
>1992, of course, is another matter.  IIRC, while GI made the filing in 1990,
>it was during the Christmas season, and was not publicized until
>mid-January.

Mid-year (there is some dispute as to whether it was May 31 or June 1),
and it was publicized almost mmediately, which led the other proponents
to go digital (except NHK):
http://www.cedmagazine.com/retro/nineties.html
http://www.atsc.org/history.html
http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/hdtv/95x5.htm
http://www.ce.org/Press/CEA_Pubs/928.asp

>You said that the transition to digital had nothing to do with public safety
>communications.  I see the transition to digital as the end result of a
>process that began with Alex Felker's "Proposal for a Decentralized Radio
>Service."

<snip>

>The joint petitions by the Los Angeles County Sheriff, the Los Angeles
>Police Department and others in that metroplex had been pending for some
>years, with little or no action.

You keep making reference to this.  Perhaps I am misinterpreting your
reference here, but my understand is that the Los Angeles petitions were
for sharing the UHF TV band with public-safety communications.  But that
TV-band sharing WAS implemented and before the FCC issues its DTT rules.

Here is the 805-page "Final Report of the Public Safety Wireless
Advisory Committee," issued to the FCC and the NTIA on September 11, 1996:
http://ntiacsd.ntia.doc.gov/pubsafe/publications/PSWAC_AL.PDF

I call your attention to the following:

- On PDF page 630 (report of the Spectrum Requirements Subcommittee),
item 1 of recommendations, "Immediate further sharing of TV channels in
the 470-512 MHz band in all areas."  "Further" means it was already
going on.

- On PDF page 640, at the bottom, the asterisked footnote: "Various
amounts of spectrum have also been allocated [to public-safety
communications] in the 470-512 MHz band [UHF TV channels 14 through 20]
in 11 markets: Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New
York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.;
ranging from 6 to 18 MHz. (In Los Angeles, 6.5 MHz is allocated.)"

Was there a different Los Angeles petition to which you refer?

TTFN,
Mark