[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm on Channel 55

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:30:20 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>>And there's nothing stopping adoption of AVC in ATSC anyway.
>>>

>>To do so would make all current receivers obsolete however.
>>

>So what makes this different, Bob? The same holds for *any other* distribution
>standard.

You say that we could adopt AVC as if there were no other cost involved.
But to adopt AVC is the same as changing modulations so if we change
codecs we should reconsider everything. And I think we should change codecs.

>With ATSC, at least, we can already receive HDTV, even without a new codec.
>Same goes for Aussie DVB-T. But  in Europe, no way to receive HDTV unless you
>buy new equipment.

Since we can receive HDTV no reason to change codecs. OK. No problem if
you think that HD is what will save OTA. In fact, so far, HD has had no
affect on the OTA DTV transition. Few people are buying OTA receivers to
get HD. They are buying HDTV sets and using cable or satellite or just
waiting till there is enough content on cable or satellite. Few are
leaving the store with OTA receivers. No discernible affect.

In any country that has already made a choice and gone down a path then
yes there are consequences if they then change. But France will use
MPEG4 AVC for subscription OTA and HD. No problem if you haven't
implemented yet or if you are not too far down the path. I think the US
still could should change.

>But wherever you are, introducing AVC will obsolete equipment. You can of
>course run parallel streams, which is a wasteful kludge, but a pragmatic
>solution.

Not if you haven't done anything yet. Lots of countries haven't.

>There will be codecs beyond AVC, and the process will repeat. Same-o same-o no
>matter what standard you're using at the time.

Not same o IMO. We for instance have determined that their is no
business plan for MPEG2 while there is one for MPEG4 AVC. You may
disagree but there is a cut off point where not enough content per
physical channel will doom any OTA venture. We think that cut off point
is above MPEG2 and we think MPEG4 AVC will offer enough. We could be
wrong. Maybe we should wait another 10 years for the next codec.

One way over some period of time is to use an Equator type solution
where you may insure yourself that you can take advantage of improved
codecs and stay competitive. Broadcasters are already non competitive
with cable and satellite and are now saddled with MPEG2 while their
competitors upgrade to MPEG4 AVC.

Bob Miller