[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm on Channel 55

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:17:10 -0400

At 6:36 PM -0700 6/20/05, John Willkie wrote:
>on what planet are MPEG2 transport streams ancient?  Last I heard, not a
>single entity in the world has embraced MPEG-4 transport streams.  NIce
>rhetoric though.  Goebbels would admire the patter, might think it a
>thoughtcrime.

Hmmmmmm....

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that ISO/MPEG
decided that there was no need to develop a new transport stream
structure for MPEG-4, and thus there IS NO MPEG-4 Transport Stream
standard for broadcast applications. All of that effort went into
mapping MPEG-4 into MPEG-2 transport.

That being said, there will be MANY wrappers for MPEG-4 content. The
requirements for wireless telecommunications are different than for
broadcasting, and different from web streaming.

John would be well advised to check out the ISMA and their positions
regarding MPEG-4 and transport.

P.S. and when Microsoft finally supports H.264, they will most likely
wrap the streams in their own proprietary transport format ( ASF).