[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm on Channel 55

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:15:20 -0400

In line comments...

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Rob Koenen wrote:
>

>>MPEG-4 Transport Streams? Do they actually exist? I'd
>>love to know more.
>>

>I think this thread snowballed out of control.
>
>Here's what Bob had actually said:
>

>>From: Bob Miller=20
>>To: opendtv=20
>>Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:58:33 -0400
>>Yes but the strangeness emanates from the fact that broadcasters passed on
>>developing their OTA spectrum for actually broadcasting. They seem content
>>with ancient 8-VSB and MPEG2 technology with no thought to mobile on their
>>spectrum while spending all their
>>efforts on multicast must carry.
>>

>MPEG-2 is mentioned without reference to TS. Of course, just because MPEG-2 is
>not today's media darling doesn't make it bad, and 8-VSB is newer than n-QAM,
>and yet QAM isn't bad either.

MPEG2 HAPPENS to reside in both the name of a codec and a transport
stream. They are two different things. Normally someone adds "transport
stream" when talking of MPEG2 transport stream and just says MPEG2 when
talking of the more frequently discussed codec. Again semantics drives
silly arguments.

We can go on using MPEG2 the transport stream indefinitely and we
assumed we would. A little clunky but there is no need to reinvent the
wheel yet. And there is also no problem in using MPEG2 transport for
delivering 1080P 60fps. We are not trying to deliver 63 million samples
but bits. If MPEG4 AVC can compress 1080P enough so that it fits in
19.76 Mbps for DVB-T then you can deliver 1080P 60fps. If MPEG4 AVC
can't do that now it will be able to soon. I think it can do it now as
well as MPEG2 delivers 1080i in a 6 MHz channel and in a 7 or 8 MHz
channel it would be all the easier.

If you don't agree that MPEG2 (the codec, the algorithm) is ancient now
how do you think it will look in 2009 when analog is turned off? It is
"bad" if you are using it in competition with others who can use MPEG4
AVC. You are at a disadvantage. Broadcasters don't need anymore
disadvantages like 8-VSB which precludes them from the mobile market.
There is nothing "bad" about a rotten apple or a dead horse unless your
intent is to eat them. MPEG2 and 8-VSB are the wrong tools for
broadcasters now and more so in 2009. Being ancient isn't bad. What's
bad for broadcasters is using ancient tools to compete for the next X years

>And there's nothing stopping adoption of AVC in ATSC anyway.

To do so would make all current receivers obsolete however. The same as
changing our modulation would. The fact is we can use MPEG4 AVC for all
content other than the required SD program so to that extent all current
receivers could be made obsolete today.

>Out of curiosity, is anything stopping broadcasters or conglomerates from
>bidding on channels 52 and up for service to handheld devices?

No, in fact LIN Broadcasting bid in both Auction #44 and #49 and owns
multiple licenses on channels #54 and #59. Broadcasters and
Conglomerates usually don't qualify for the discounts that most winners
in these Auctions received however.

Bob Miller