[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm on Channel 55

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:57:28 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> > And there's nothing stopping adoption of AVC in
> > ATSC anyway.
>
> To do so would make all current receivers obsolete
> however.

So what makes this different, Bob? The same holds for
*any other* distribution standard.

With ATSC, at least, we can already receive HDTV, even
without a new codec. Same goes for Aussie DVB-T. But
in Europe, no way to receive HDTV unless you buy new
equipment.

But wherever you are, introducing AVC will obsolete
equipment. You can of course run parallel streams,
which is a wasteful kludge, but a pragmatic solution.

There will be codecs beyond AVC, and the process will
repeat. Same-o same-o no matter what standard you're
using at the time.