[opendtv] Re: Pros/Cons of DSP processor based MPEG software decoder or hardware based MPEG decoder

  • From: "Tom McMahon" <TLM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:09:43 -0800

I am sorry that there is so much confusion over H.264/AVC terminology.  (Note
that I use that precise syntax consistently, and that
I do not say "MPEG-4".)

I am also sorry that the terminology used by our standards bodies is confusing:
"Level" is not the same thing as "Profile".

"Profile" is a set of tools or a class of basic capabilities (toolkit).
"Level" is kinda like pixel rate or horsepower (and
framerate).

I like to explain "Profile" as an off-road package, or luxury package.  And I
like to explain "Level" as an engine horespower
package (SDTV versus HDTV).  Does that make sense?  You can have an off-road
package with two different engines (Levels).  Or, you
can have the same basic car (Level) with simple interior OR super luxury
leather (two different Profiles).

"Part 10" does not equal "Level 10"; they aren't related.  Mixing Levels and
other stuff is mixing apples and yogurt; they are very
different things.  I'll be happy to explain further if you wish.

VC-1 is the to-be-SMPTE-standardized subset of Microsoft's Windows Media video
compression toolkit.  VC-1 is being standardized as
the public interoperability and interchange format for Microsoft's proprietary
Windows Media video code format.  That documentation
effort is not done yet.