[opendtv] Re: Pros/Cons of DSP processor based MPEG software decoder or hardware based MPEG decoder

  • From: Prashant Desai <prashant.desai@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:45:12 +0530

Hi Ralph /Donald

   thanks a lot to both of you
   do you mean that license cost for MPEG-4 can be avoided or it's not
required to pay the license cost for MPEG-4 if it's implemented using a
software and DSP processor ?  and one has to pay the license cost only if
it's implemented on chip by hardware ?

  btw , what typically is the license cost that one has to pay for MPEG-4  ?
any pointers from where i can get this information  ?

   i actually wanted to understanding the performance etc trade offs that
one needs to consider while choosing either software/DSP processor based
decoder implementation or  chip/hardware based implementation of MPEG-4
.......any inputs for the same would be highely appretiated

warm regards ,
Prashant Desai