[opendtv] Re: Pros/Cons of DSP processor based MPEG software decoder or hardware based MPEG decoder

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:34:53 +0100

Ralph, the standardisation to product argument you mention part is in my
response, albeit not explicitly. Used phrases such as 'anything newer' and
'Codecs are still under development, so generations of capability sets
replace eachother quite rapidly, so no time to design and build a hardware
implementation'.

Let's not confuse the original poster with IP licensing arguments for a
particular technology, be it MPEG 4 AVC or VC1 or WM10. As the arguments for
going with a software codec are the same for all compression platforms
mentioned. So, if you choose anything over mpeg2 or perhaps mpeg4 main
profile, so'll be opting for a software codec for some time to come.

For many operators there is no other choice than going with newer
compression technology, for instance hd-tv over satellite (considering SES
Astra still demands around 5 million euro per annum for a transponder on
their prime orbital position satellite around 19.2 degrees east, or the
local into local requirements placed upon directv and dish). Or ADSL or
DVB-T ops. Basically any-body interested in doing HD.

Ralph, may I ask which standardisation commitee or Industry forum you are
refering to?

What alternatives are you considering (may I suggest object-based
compression;-)).

Donald