[opendtv] Re: Performance Report: Zenith DTT900

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:26:46 -0800 (PST)

Is the Samsung your old SIR T-315???
Do you recall what  (3rd Gen?) ATSC Decoder chip it used?

I'm sure AVSForum would appreciate seeing your report.
SD-STB COMPARISON thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980052
and ZENITH DTT900 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948767

FYI: I posted a summary of announced SMART ANTENNAS
in the SD-STB COMPARISON thread.

The Sylvania 6900DTE (aka Funai STB400) is thus far only HD-STB
 with I/F to DX Antenna DTA-5000 Smart Antenna.
 [I posted a link to my comparison vs 4-bay & 8-Bay...incl pics.]

Hopefully SD-STBs will spur deployment of HD-STBs and HDTV/DVRs
with EIA/CEA-909 SMART ANTENNA control interface.

But until then, it should be possible to use the low cost SD-STB
to control the SMART ANTENNA and then split the coax
to an HD-STB/HDTV for viewing HD....using side-by-side R/Cs...

This may (or may not) work for Mark Schubin's NY apt location.....

holl_ands

John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Today I was handed a box that arrived at
our station from APTS (America's
Public Television Stations.)  It was a Zenith DTT900 Digital TV Tuner
Converter Box.

snip......

But I will enjoy my slice of humble pie and acknowledge that Bert was
correct in his "wait and see" attitude.  This receiver's performance is more
than adequate for home use.

If this Zenith DTT900 is any indication, then the STB Coupon program has
produced some very capable receivers.

John