[opendtv] Re: Performance Report: Zenith DTT900

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:56:44 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> And yet in Germany, where OTA use is less than here and where
>> integrated DTV sets also exist, those same CE vendors seemed
>> perfectly happy to market *up-to-date* and low cost STBs
>> anyway, without govt mandate.
>
> So maybe its the government mandate on tuners here in the U.S.
> that's the culprit?

Culprit? Were it not for govt mandates, we'd have no OTA service left
here. Were it not for the 1 March 2007 mandate, I'd have no PVR today.
These devices were simply not allowed in the US market, thanks (most
likely) to shady under-the-table deals.

> And as i recall, you can get 30 channels of free OTA TV in
> Germany.

Whatever the number, I'll bet I can beat it already today. And that's
without any concerted effort from the broadcasters. Although on a
brighter note, I finally saw my very first 2/18/2009 PSA just last
weekend! Yoohoo! I think it was on Fox. It's only been just under one
decade since DTT began here.

> The reality is that cable and DBS STBs dominate the market in
> the U.S.

And again, in Germany, the cable/DBS subscription accounted for a
whopping 91 percent of households before DTT was even introduced. And
yet, you didn't see CE vendors shying away from the market, did you?

What I'm saying, Craig, is that your analysis is lacking in some very
key elements. Vendors do not develop markets by shying away timidly, or
by pricing their product way above what the market will bear. Retail
stores do not promote sales by hiding product categories.

You can't market an OTA PVR for $1000, completely fail to promote it,
and then use that as an excuse that there are "no customers." These are
the tactics used by those with a secret agenda.

So, I don't buy your explanations.