[opendtv] Super Bowl (part deux) Goodbye to NTSC

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:00:24 +0100

Hello !

See:
http://displaydaily.com/2008/02/05/super-bowl-part-deux-goodbye-to-ntsc/

You guys (in the US) are now really counting down, aren't you ?

The Transition is long over here, and now I am looking out of the window
at a DTV mast in the west of Eindhoven that is radiating some 50 kW over
the city and its surroundings. It radiates some 25 TV programs but also
some blue light, because it is artistically illuminated at night.

This mast is drawing a lot of complaints from residents in its immediate
neighborhood, because they don't like the light, and because the
radiated power is causing RF interference to a few cable TV programs.
And they are worried about (unproven) health risks. A typical case of
Not In My Back Yard syndrome. If they had asked me for advice, I would
have put the mast on this very building I am sitting in. There is still
a stub of a mast on the roof, where the first TV broadcasts from the
Philips Research Lab were once radiated. A perfect place...

I was thinking, with such a loud and clear OTA signal for only 7 Euro
per month, why don't they just cancel their cable TV ?!
Because, as Steve is saying, OTA DTV is a really good deal.

(DTV in Nederland is not for free. Only the 3 national public programs
that used to be analog, plus one regional program, are for free. For
the other 21-something programs you need a decoder and a smart card,
and for the 7 Euro per month you can activate up to 3 smart cards.
One 24x7 XXX program is included, but 2 sports programs cost extra.)

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:    Jeroen H. Stessen                |
| Deptmt.: Philips Consumer Lifestyle       |
|          Innovation Lab Eindhoven         |
| Address: High Tech Campus 37 - room 8.042 |
|          5656 AE Eindhoven , Nederland    |
| Website: http://www.consumer.philips.com/ |