[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:14:25 -0700

The U.S. didn't adopt PAL either, and for the same reasons: it came later,
and the U.S. had already adopted a contrary (and lesser) technology.  Being
first tends to do that.

Also, as any idiot save you realizes, the MODEL that DVB uses (originating
station -- in the U.S. context, a network) and transmitting station (in U.S.
terms, a mere translator or booster) is quite appropriate for the UK,
French, German (mostly), Korean, Taiwanese, Spanish, Italian and other
off-shore systems.)  Localism in those markets is 5 minutes of regional news
(would the U.S. equivalent be "California news"?) aired once a day at the
end of a national news broadcast.

Given that, U.S. consumers would search out and destroy you and Craig B.,
the major proponents of the "Eurofication" of U.S. TV hereabouts.

There are three TV stations in all of Korea.  There are five TV stations in
all of Great Britain.  There are six TV stations in all of France.  From my
modest digs in Tijuana, BC I can watch more unduplicated analog TV channels
(San Diego, Los Angeles, Tijuana, Tecate) over the air than are available
terrestrially in all those countries COMBINED.

Europe and most of the world is a "Third world country" when it comes to
electronic media choices.

Unlike the situation in most ATSC countries.

John "let me know how many 30 minute program viewings you and yours sell for
$50" Willkie