[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:17:04 -0400

Cliff -

That bothers me also.  Zenith has always claimed the next bigger billy
goat is just right behind, and will be just what is needed.  And
previously we have been disappointed with each successive generation.

OTOH, the credibility of the Schubin test and the people involved has
made me more optimistic this time.  Of course the 5th gen chip may end
up being like the Linx and never (so far) make it to market for some
reason.  But I did see another statement by USDTV only in the last week
or so still claiming inclusion of gen 5 chips in their boxes by the end
of the year.  They certainly have the incentive.  And if they also do
$200 Walmart boxes with these chips it could single handedly drive the
HD transition if the darn things really work.  I'm hoping the previous
Walmart deal wasn't just a way to dump extra 4th gen boxes.

However I will go on record here that this is the LAST time I will be
fooled by Zenith/LG if for some reason these gen 5 boxes do not appear
and work as promised.  No more free shots.

- Tom