[opendtv] Re: PR: Consumers in 39 Million U.S. Households Cannot Receive Complete Network Digital Service

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:14:14 -0700

Sorry for the late response.  Clearing out my inbox, I noted something in
this response that was defamatory to me, and I need to respond to just that.

To wit:

"Lastly the pot shots you included throughout your reply really got under my
skin.  As a former free-lance journalis, a low-power license owner, and now
a business owner of some video streaming technology linked with hollywood,
it's clear that you have the personal and business incentive to rail against
the satellite TV industry which seeks to offer consumers services that the
broadcasters are now not offering.  Before you start discrediting everyone
else as having their own objectives, you should be more forthright with your
interests in this fight.  You're just an extension of the NAB."

I am not a former freelance (note spelling) journalist.  I from time to time
contemplate journalistic projects, and have one in not-so-active development
right now.  However, I cannot engage in journalism in the broadcast arena,
due to conflicts which I will outline in a few moments.

Second, I was never a low-power TV license holder, although I was the
majority stockholder and "top dog" at one, but that ended almost nine years
ago.

Third, I have no economic interest in any "video streaming technology linked
with hollywood."  I have developed, and am now actively marketing a
broadcast metadata generator that has as it's initial market terrestrial
television stations.  Later iterations of the product line will have
applicability to cable television systems, and the initial version will also
directly support at least one scheme for direct broadcast satellite
transmission.  Not to mention content-delivery systems.

I have no interest or desire to rail against the satellite TV industry, nor
do I.  I do, from time to time, rail against ONE particular satellite TV
operator, one which always seems to not have problems itself, but always
seems to have problems with it's vendors, and relies on less than optimal
business partners (your post mentioned that you relied on erroneous Prime
Time 24 to do white area analysis -- is that my fault, or EchoStar's?) and I
previously have mentioned how EchoStar effectively stiffs it's installers (a
point echoed by senators as well.)

And, just what services does satellite TV offer that terrestrial
broadcasters do not?  Oh, you were engaging in hyperbole; you didn't mean
services (TV is a service, whether delivered by satellite, terrestrial,
cable or some combination); you meant PROGRAM SERVICES.

Just what program services does satellite offer that is not available via
cable or terrestrial?  SiTV?

I have been on this list for more than five years.  I have repeatedly
mentioned my business background and interest.

I NOTE THAT YOU DO NOT MENTION YOURS!  NOT A SINGLE TIME, and you are
apparently only interested in posting when I accurately zing EchoStar, and
you respond with spin.

It is defamatory -- and I suspect you are operating at the behest of an
entity other than yourself -- to say that I am an extension of the NAB.  I
have been an auxiliary member of the NAB for two years, but I declined to
renew, since they only permitted LPTV operators like (then) me, to be
auxiliary members.  I tired of unsuccessfully lobbying for full membership.
Was I an extension of them 12 years ago?  No.

The NAB tends to represent, in a collective fashion, the interests of
broadcasters.   Not individual ones.  On this list, long time list members
that aren't stooges will recognize that I have strongly criticized several
NAB attitudes and prerogatives.  Having followed broadcast/cable/satellite
issues for more than 35 years, I see the NAB and other trade groups in
perspective.

Not in silhouette.

You can't say the same.