[opendtv] Re: PR: Consumers in 39 Million U.S. Households Cannot Receive Complete Network Digital Service

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:27:30 -0700

>From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:09:38 -0500
>

>At least for Illinois, those maps are highly inaccurate,
>especially for CBS.
>
>The show what it would be if every station were at full
>height and power, and CBS Chicago were at an adequate power
>for being on Channel 3 (i.e. 50 kW).
>
>CBS in Chicago, Champaign and Peoria are at very low power (2 kW),
>channels 3 and 48 and ?. None is anywhere near adequate, though
>Chicago is officially "full power", to cover their analog areas.

These maps are also highly inaccurate for Arizona, especially ABC, but in the
opposite sense. They show no ABC coverage at all for Phoenix. Our local ABC
affiliate, KNXV-DT, has been on the air since early 2000. The map shows only
the coverage area for the Tucson ABC affiliate, KGUN-DT, which went on the air
much later than the Phoenix affiliate.

Whether either or both of these stations are at full power, I don't know. But I
do know people who live in the outermost southeastern suburbs of Phoenix that
are able to watch BOTH stations with OTA receivers -- so the ABC coverage of
both Phoenix and Tucson is far greater than zero.

The so-called "data" from this organization claims that over 77% of Arizona
households are unserved by ABC digital, but 80% of Arizona's population lives
in the Phoenix or Tucson metro areas and are served by one or both of these ABC
DTV affiliates.

This web site is sponsored by one of the satellite TV lobbying organizations
that wants permission for DBS providers to offer a generic network feed to
"unserved" DTV consumers. It is their right to lobby for it. But trying to
advance a political agenda by feeding the FCC bogus data is just plain wrong --
whether it's the NAB, the satellite industry, the cable industry, etc. that is
manufacturing garbage "data."

There is already enough misinformation about DTV for the commissioners -- and
the general public -- to deal with.

-- Frank