[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:55:57 -0400

At 4:10 PM -0400 10/25/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>But then which person gets to use their personalization at any given time?
>There is no 'user' when the family gathers around the TV.

If you say so. You could set up a family personality, but  that
completely misses the point. You can get to any content through any
personality.  All we are talking about here is a few bytes of data
that are needed to create an icon, book (channel?) mark, or
preference.

>Leave the primary screen alone.  Each 'participant' will have their
>own 'pad' to
>customize and interact with.  Why is THIS such a difficult concept to
>understand?

How can you leave the primary screen alone when it is what everyone
is watching. Yes you CAN use any number of devices for navigation.
Who knows, perhaps everyone will have an appropriate pad for
navigation and playing games. But I don't think that we should ignore
the potential of the main screen to enable simple navigation, even if
another device is used to set up these navigational techniques...

At least we are both thinking in positive terms. This stuff IS going
to happen. I started controlling my TV and VCR from my first
Powerbook back in the early '90s using a simple IR transmitter that
had a graphical user interface to control almost every CE device
available at that time.