[opendtv] Re: News: No End in Sight to Supply of Cheap TV's

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:43:14 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I've posted this before, since I seriously do not
> like it and think everyone should be aware.  It
> is potentially very expensive.

You're focusing on the lawyers objecting to a CE
manufacturer's "robustness" solution. I think
there are other potentially even more problematic
aspects of this order, such as:

1. Allowing for encryption schemes to be modified if
they are hacked, and

2. Approving any number of encryption schemes from
different manufacturers.

The result is that not only will boxes from
different manufacturers not play together, but boxes
from any one manufacturer will only play together if
they are bought at the same time, potentially.

But again, there is the easy out that I have to
believe the FCC deliberately left in place. Analog
interfaces. They trump all these problems. My newer
appliances, DVD recorder and LCD screen, have
composite, Y/C, component, RGB, and DVI interfaces
for video. And in stores, I notice more and more
customers asking to look behind these boxes, to see
what interfaces are available. Smart manufacturers
will not cut back on these options.