[opendtv] Re: News: No End in Sight to Supply of Cheap TV's

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:55:10 -0500

Allen Le Roy Limberg wrote:

> The digital TV receiver must receive ATSC A-54
> "HDTV" so the error correction decoding works
> properly.  The digital filtering for channel
> equalization is prior to trellis decoding,
> de-interleaving and R-S decoding. So there is
> no possibility of a SD front-end different than
> that for HDTV.

Perhaps "front end" should be better defined. I
mean tuner and MPEG decoder. After trellis and
RS decoding, the signal sent to the MPEG decoder
can be decimated, in principle, to be compatible
with MP@ML.

May years ago now, I saw estimates that a
decimating STB could be sold for "as little as"
$250, compared with the HD price of around $500.
Seems kind of funny now, though.