[opendtv] Re: News: Experts question quality of local HDTV

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:50:17 -0500

Bert,

When the FCC adopts the ATSC "policy statement" as the rules, that means we are legally obligated to follow them. The ATSC won't send out a SWAT team, but the FCC could, or at least mail us a fine notification.

The last time the FCC adopted the ATSC standards, it adopted them in hole, except for the infamous "Table 3." Maybe when the FCC incorporates ATSC A/53E the will except Paragraph 5.6.1, but I doubt it.

My point is that such "policy statements" have no business being incorporated into the technical standards. They were put there deliberately in the hopes that the FCC would adopt the standard as is, thus making the limitation the rule of law.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Don't know why that bothers you so much, John. It is simply a policy statement, to try to prevent broadcasters from degrading prime time programming to sub-SD quality. There's nothing in any hardware that can stop you from creating a single SD E-VSB channel during prime time, if you really insist. I doubt the ATSC would send out a SWAT team.