[opendtv] Re: News: Experts question quality of local HDTV

  • From: Philip Hodgetts <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:05:20 -0800

At 7:41 PM -0500 2/3/07, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Stephen W. Long wrote:

Bert, huge error in your note below.  1080 is 30i, not 60i.
 If you want to call this 60, then it is 540/60i.  This is why,
at a 60th of a second, 720/60p is HIGHER resolution than
540/60i.

Perhaps, Stephen. I've seen it called either way. The reason I prefer 60i is because it is what we always used in analog days. Which is, 525/60 meant what you would call 525/30i (or more precisely, 483/30i), and yet no one seemed to be confused calling it 525/60.

In 20 years in video production and five in the US I have never heard Standard Definition 525 lines referred to as anything but 525 29.97 fps or 59.94 fields.

However, the horizontal res of 1080i is still better than that of 720p, even if it is "limited" to just 1440 most of the time. So all the visual comparisions I've ever read about, and my own experience, say that this is no big deal in terms of quality differences, truly. CBS and PBS transmit some of the very best HD there is, as far as I can tell.

Unless you take into account compression efficiencies.
--

Philip Hodgetts
President, Intelligent Assistance

Personal Blog