[opendtv] Re: News: Experts question quality of local HDTV

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:58:22 -0800

There's something new in the mix since the 'breastgate' episode.  The 5 or
six second time delay to permit near real time editing of live broadcasts.

Did your tests do double-pass encoding?

I don't know for a fact that one can do double-pass encoding in 5 seconds,
but I suspect that it can be.  Nor do I know that it is done.  I do know
that one can do double-pass encoding between the time a master is handed to
the network and the time the program airs.

John Willkie
EtherGuide Systems

Pricing for our standard PSIP generators is now available
www.etherguidesystems.com/systems/EmissaryATSC/default.aspx