[opendtv] Re: News: Disney Doesn't Seek Ownership Rule Revise

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:25:22 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

>> But on a more serious note, OTA TV now has roughly 15 percent of
>> households that "depend" on it, and roughly 30 percent of TV
>> viewing overall is from an OTA source.
>
> I'm not sure the phrase "OTA source" is a very efficient way to
> describe any content source anymore. It seems to mean a source
> that is popular enough that it is ALSO carried OTA and watched by
> the 15% or so that do not have cable or satellite.

No, that's not what I was trying to get across. I'm saying that we have
seen several reports of stations dropping their OTA transmission, or
perhaps their NTSC transmission, and then reporting a drop of 30 percent
of their viewership. Seems to me that cable and DBS households are using
OTA as well, many times. (And of course DBS users often go OTA for HDTV
from the major networks.)