[opendtv] Re: M/H, Free OTA and Its Programming

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:12:45 -0700

If everything you say is true, it can't be the end of FOTA broadcasting.  To
keep the transmitter going, one program service has to be sent in the clear,
with quality at least equivalent to NTSC.

Let me put it this way: you can't do UDTV within 19.39 mb/seconds, and you
might not be able to do 3-D HDTV within that bit rate either.

There are interesting times ahead.  Did you notice the report mentioned
radio in the title?   M/H would seem to be perfect for radio-type services.

John Willkie

  _____