[opendtv] M/H, Free OTA and Its Programming

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:55:03 -0700

Clearly, broadcasters are looking to M/H as a viable market for fee based
offerings.  It is currently my understanding that FOTA must be provided by
a broadcaster, although this only needs to be one programming stream and
the quality is not regulated. (I say "my understanding" because many
things that I thought were true have been effectively countered on this
forum.)

If M/H for a fee happens on OTA broadcasts, I am betting that the free
portion becomes nothing more than an infomercial channel with ads, promos
and possibly some news (it is largely that today).  There might be some
programming but most programming is already laden with over 20% of the
time spent in commercials.  And the quality will become little more than a
thumbnail's version.  No, once broadcasters get the taste of income from
fees for their broadcast, there will be very little incentive to keep the
quality of FOTA up.

Now, I'm not saying this is good or bad, I just think it will effectively
be the end of FOTA.  I also think that the contract between the
citizen/people and the broadcaster (FCC/broadcaster) will effectively be
forgotten, whereby the OTA broadcaster will not provide the programming
promised in exchange for the frequency spectrum.  (Of course, this is all
predicated on my belief that there is a contract between the people and
the broadcaster, which many will probably argue does not exist.)

While I would be tempted to rally the citizens to file complaints against
the broadcaster to go back to providing what they owe the community, I
doubt it would do much good.  No, the less than 14% of us that use FOTA
services will largely be forgotten or overridden in the society that is
driven by and considerably controlled by money.

Just my opinion, which is certainly not based on a deep understanding of
the broadcaster's political environment.

Dan