[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:15:14 -0700

But, what if M/H uses time-slicing techniques like DVB-H and MediaFlo?

What if MediaFlo has to adopt M/H to make a true go of it?

There was an awful lot of discussion in the report of network effects ...

John Willkie

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

>> Not even the Study's numbers.
>
> It's on pages 103 and 104. The total M/H figure is based only on
> advertizing revenues. It does assume one system, though, so that would
> ignore any inroads made by the Qualcomm system.
>
> "9.1 billion additional viewing hours * $0.24 (average value of revenue
> per hour viewed) = $1.956 billion of additional advertising dollars due
> to total M/H DTV."

Yes, I did read that.  However that is based on one M/H system in the
marketplace, which is clearly not possible unless Qualcomm folds it's
MediaFLO tent.

> The report assumes that the M/H service from broadcasters is advertizer
> supported. And that broadcasters would go to third party M/H provider
> for fee-based services:
>
> "In Chapter V, we addressed the two basic business model categories for
> broadcasters - (1) free-to-viewer advertising model and (2) various paid
> models. The largest near term (2009-2012) revenues available to
> broadcasters on the M/H DTV platform will be advertising based (any
> subscription or other revenues are de minimis on the DTV M//H platform
> by 2012). The rationales here are that (1) it is most likely that
> primarily advertising supported programming will be offered as a
> simulcast stream to M/H DTV devices by 2012; and (2) broadcasters are
> more likely to partner with 3rd parties who have core competencies in
> billing, digital content asset management, subscriber management systems
> and other layers of the mobile ecosystem to pursue VOD, subscription or
> PPV revenue models."

With AT&T and Verizion already on the Qualcomm MediaFLO bandwagon, who is
left?  T-Mobile and Chad over at Alltel?

> But that $2B figure is based only on cell phone and MP3 player users,

You mean like this:

http://ipodnewsblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/lg-t80-mp3-player-also-does-dvb-t.h
tml

> both of which require the M/H distribution method.

DVB-H is only necessary for battery life improvements.  One can use DVB-H
time slicing without using reduced resolution MPEG-4 bitstreams aimed
exclusively at handheld devices, and have no effect on legacy DVB-T
receivers.

There are also already several 7" screen combo portable DVD/DVB-T players
available in Europe, and they also have a 2-4 hour battery life, unless
tethered to the rear seat power accessory outlet.

John